Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Taking One for the Team

So on Friday, right after work, I headed up to the lake with a couple of friends.

The lake, as glimpsed from the wiggle road? WAS BREATHTAKINGLY STUNNING. So calm, like a mirror that was reflecting the setting sun. It was a deep rich purply-blue with a hint of gold. So, so, so beautiful. I should've stopped and taken a pic. Or three.

Unbelievably pretty. God is so good at stuff like this.

I just knew it was going to be a great weekend.

Friend A had brought along supper for us, which was way more delicious and grown up than the hotdogs I would've made for myself. She put in a huge effort. Something that I don't do when it comes to meals these days.

Friend B was planning on making waffles with fresh strawberries for breakfast. I usually have a bowl of Special K at noon. I tell you, friends are the best invention, ever. (However, I did warn them that I probably wouldn't be joining them. I was Sleeping In.)

We talked for a few hours, then watched North and South, because it is my personal goal to have everyone I know sigh over Richard Armitage. :)

Friend B headed up to bed at 1:00 am.

Friend A and I stayed up and talked til 3. Because we can. It's the WEEKEND. And we are 50-ish with no responsibilities. 

As we parted at the top of the stairs, I told her I'd get up in time for waffles and join them for breakfast. I took my time getting ready for bed, poked around the internet for awhile and finally turned off my light at 4:11 am; determined to get up at 10.

I woke at 7:04 and told myself to go back to sleep. What the heck I AM SLEEPING TIL 10. And then I realized my body was doing something weird. Like, getting sick. Like, getting real sick. Like, I needed to make a plan. By 7:20 I was making myself comfortable in the downstairs bathroom, allowing everything I'd eaten in the past 12 hours to exit my body, violently. For 2 1/2 hours I was sick. I think I flushed the toilet 27 times, disinfecting it between flushes.

I knew that if it was food poisoning, someone else would be doing the same thing in the upstairs bathroom. But no one was. So it wasn't that.

By 9:30 am, I was done. I meet Friend A at the bottom of the the stairs, and explained (although, apparently, no explanation was necessary - I looked like I'd been on a bender) that I'd been sick and that I was going to sleep for a few hours.

I met Friend B and the top of the stairs and apologized that I won't be joining her for breakfast afterall.

I dropped into bed and passed out completely til noon.

By the time I got up and showered, Friend A had cleaned the kitchen and left and Friend B had stripped all the beds and was doing laundry for me. (I tell you - friends were God's best idea.)

"How're you?" she asked.
"I am totally fine," I replied. "I feel great." And I did. Whatever that was in the middle of the night, it certainly wasn't the flu. Or food poisoning. It was just weird.

"Are you sure?"
"Yeah. So strange to be that sick and then, nothing. I  feel good."

She looked at me and smiled.
"Uh, I think you being sick was a God thing," she said. "I had an amazing morning. And it was because of the conversation we had while you were sleeping. I don't think it would have happened if you'd have been downstairs with us..."

"Really? It was good? THAT good?"
"Yeah, it was God speaking to me through Friend B. I don't think she even knew that God was using her for His purposes. I needed to hear something, and she was the messenger. It was amazing."
"Well, then, I am glad. And am happy to have been sick for you. Because., really, that's the only way God coulda kept me in bed this morning. I was feeling guilty about staying in bed while my guests were up..."

Her and I finished the laundry, remade all the beds, then went for a long walk along the beach and creek and the campsites and it's March and I should be on a sun-filled holiday, but I'm not. And it's totally OK.

I think I'm exactly where God wants me to be right now.

Three things I'm thankful for:
1. Drew texted me on Saturday night and told me he was staying over at my place. So that was cool. LOVE it when his dad and step mom go on vacation. :)

2. Babies. Spent some time with part of my writing group this week ... and we just sat and watched the one year old as she entertained us with her smiles. (Pics to follow.)

3.Today was Prayer Day at work. We were divided into teams and every hour a different group sat in the 2nd Floor meeting room and prayed for a list of items on the President's heart. So my team had someone from Finance, someone from HR, someone from Church and Community Relations, someone from the President's office etc. I was freaked ALL DAY because my team was scheduled to gather last. I was thisclose to not going. But I sucked it up like a buttercup and went. And? IT WAS TOTALLY FINE.

I really should stop thinking.
I drive myself crazy.


No comments: