These are the things that I am:
I. I am obsessing over:
- not getting sick. I definitely do not want to get the flu. I hate throwing up. And I have plans. Do I feel vomitty? Is my stomach queasy? Enough already. This is just a Dec 31 obsession. I have not obsessed about this all month. So it doesn't really qualify.
- Another Dec 31 obsession? THIS news. (It's the story about the 53 year old mom who was savagely beaten to death last night in Surrey.) I'm a mom. I live in Surrey. I have been known to pick my kids up late at night. OR WALK HILLS at night. Shit. I don't want to be scared. Obviously I have not been obsessed about this all month. Just today.
- Walking every day. OK. I HAVE been doing this for the whole month. Mostly because I love it. (I went tonight, nervous the whole frikken time because of the news story above.) (So it was a quick walk.) (Yes, it's New Year's Eve. Yes, I am a loser.) For your info, I have not lost any weight with all this hill walking. But my calves? Are ROCK HARD. Sexy as hell. Not.
- My sister's peanut butter balls. I have now eaten them all. Thanks, Jule, for bringing me some extra ones on the 26th. I was a little bit crazed knowing they were in the freezer.
2. I am working on:
- making a list of obtainable goals for 2014
- letting go of my British obsession; especially the Northern England thing.
- a budgeting/accounting process for work that works for everyone involved in the process
- giving up my longing to watch Blu Ray DVD's on the TV in the media room.
3. I am thinking about:
- Facebook. And how many negative comments I keep hearing about it in real life. How it promotes depression and feelings of isolation in people.
- The movie I saw on Christmas with the boys. And a few of the storylines I watched in Season 2 of Call the Midwife. And how screwed up we are as a society.
- The NA and AA communities around the world. And how thankful I am for them.
- Not getting sick.
4. I am anticipating:
- That I will probably get the flu.
- I am anticipating a fabulous weekend on the island.
- I am anticipating more days of laughter than days of tears in 2014.
- Good things.
5. I am listening to:
- Texan accents. It's New Year's Eve. I'm single. Everyone I know is married. OF COURSE I'm watching Friday Night Lights with my mom.
- And in general, this past week, I've been listening to:
- Lumineers (because in the latest issue in the People Mag, there were TOP TEN lists. And I had seen most of the top ten movies. And had read most of the TOP TEN books. BUT I DIDN'T KNOW A SINGLE SONG. So, at Danica's suggestion, I'm starting with The Lumineers. And she's right. I do like 'em.)
- Jason Mraz (I might be a little bit obsessed with his I Won't Give Up on Us song.)
- Edward Sharp (Specifically Man on Fire.)
- And, random, I know, but I've also been listening to Oasis and The Arctic Monkeys. It's that Northern England thing. I will try to give this up in 2014.
- Music from the first decade of this century. (How does a person refer to the years 2000 - 2010? There's the '90's. The '80's. The 00's?)
- Plus, seeing she's sitting *right over there, I'm listening to my mom chew ice cubes.
6. I am eating:
- It's New Year's Eve and there are snacks in the house. Like frozen chocolate bars, chips, left over baking, ham, turkey, pickles... and I'm afraid to eat a bite of anything because the other person who lives in this house is recovering from the flu. So. Party on. I'll just sit here and suck my tongue.
7. I am reading:
- Allegiant. (I've just re-read Divergent and Insurgent, last week.)
- The Fault in Our Stars. (Re-reading this for book club this month.)
- And I should probably read that book I bought for $1.99 on my Kindle. Just a sec, let me turn it on... I'll check. I only have one book on there... Uh. OK. Here we go: Everything is Perfect When You're a Liar. How's that for a winning title?
- and I'm going to read this: John Piper's Top Thirteen Posts of 2013.
8. I am happy about:
- Why is this always the hardest one?
- OK. I am happy about ...
- All the non-rain days we had in 2013.
- Actually? I'm pretty happy about the way this whole year went. Considering I was crying the blues (literally) a year ago when I was staring down 12 months of working 40 hour weeks with no vacation time - it was alright. And considering that everything I own except my clothes, camera and laptop is boxed up - it's alright. And considering I have no idea what the future is going to look like - it' alright today.
9. I am remembering:
- Well, of course, I am remembering New Year's Eve's of the past. My favourites were the ones at Harrison Hot Springs as a teenager. I've never really gotten the hang of them since then.
- And I'm remembering the past. COME ON. It's New Year's Eve. Time to look back. (Tomorrow is New Year's Day - the day to look forward.) If you're not getting kissed tonight, it's a time of reflection. Oh, that reminds me. I have a visual for the word "reflection". Hang on. I'll go find it.
- Here it is. (That's Teapot Hill reflected in Cultus Lake.) See what I mean? Perfect pic for reflective posts, eh? Know what I love about December? The lake is always glass smooth, and reflective pics always turn out awesome. So awesome that sometimes it makes you dizzy.
- So, I am remembering. And it's all good.
10. I am wishing:
- that I could enjoy that chocolate bar in the freezer
- that I won't let this week's murder prevent me from enjoying night walks
- that I would be excited about whatever God has in store for me next
- that I would be more encouraging, more prayerful, more disciplined, less fearful.
And that's it.
The last CURRENTLY of 2013.
And WOW - perfect timing - fireworks just went off on the other side of the river. It's like the whole neighbourhood is celebrating that I've finally finished this post.
Three things I'm thankful for:
1. I'm thankful that I'm related to Clint, Max and Drew.
2. I'm thankful that I am loved.
3. I am thankful that God answers prayer.
Happy New Year, friends.